The Army Commander, Mathew Golsteyn, a former decorated green beret who has was loaded on the death of an alleged suicide bomber, defended his actions Sunday before a section 32 hearing next month.
During an interview on "Fox and his friends" Golsteyn stated that he was facing at least a life sentence or death sentence if he was convicted of premeditated murder, a charge he vigorously contested.
"During these years, the US military seems to be aiming to qualify an ambush for murder.These routine fights are now referred to as murders," Golsteyn told Fox & Friends.
Golsteyn said the army prevented him from consulting his lawyer and his family by limiting him to Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
The largest shopping centerBERET GREEN MATHEW'S WOMAN GOLSTEYN, ACCUSED OF ASSASSINTING A SUSPECTED TALIBAN BULK TUTOR, DEPOSITS TO THE ARMY
"We see how malicious and vindictive the army is," said his wife, Julie, in an interview with "Fox & Friends." "They are trying to separate us as a family, keep Matt from his lawyer, even going so far as to break us financially."
The army gave Sunday the following statement to Fox News:
"On December 18, 2018, it was decided that Major Mathew Golsteyn would proceed to a preliminary hearing under Section 32, which was to open on Thursday, March 14, 2019 in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The main objective of the hearing is to determine whether there is sufficient reason for Major Golsteyn to have violated Article 118 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), Premeditated Assassination. Special operations of the US military.In order to protect the rights of Major Golsteyn and maintain the integrity of the judicial process, it would be inappropriate to comment on the case further before the outcome of the Hearing under Article 32. "
Golsteyn, which was investigated several years after an incident that allegedly took place during its deployment in 2010, was originally authorized by a military court two years ago. The investigation into his actions was however reopened after he spoke to Bret Baier of Fox News.
As Fox News previously reported, Golsteyn was deployed to Afghanistan with the 3rd Special Forces Group in 2010. Two Marines from his unit were killed at that time by hidden and trapped explosives.
Golsteyn and his men then discovered a suspected Taliban bomb maker nearby – although he was not on a target list. US forces were allowed to kill, Fox News reported earlier. After his detention, Golsteyn said that the man had refused to speak to the investigators.
According to the rules of engagement, Golsteyn had been ordered to release him, but he feared that if he did, the suspect would have targeted Afghans who were helping American soldiers.
"There are limits to the length of detention of the guys," he told Bret Baier in 2016. "You quickly realize that you are making the situation worse. It is inevitable that those who cooperate with coalition forces, once identified, suffer terrible torture or are killed. "
Golsteyn told Fox News that he had killed the alleged bomb maker.
The case in December invited a tweet from President Trump, who wrote that Golsteyn "could be sentenced to death by our own government after admitting to killing a terrorist bomb maker while he was abroad".
Golsteyn said Sunday that Trump's tweet was giving his son a "relief" because "someone was paying attention and caring for his father".
"They do not seek the truth, they do not seek justice, it is wrong what they do to him, Matt has served his country and loves his country," said Julie Golsteyn. "It's heartbreaking for me, as a woman, to watch him hanging out on his own."
Norman Norman, Fox News, Barnini Chakraborty and Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.