Police Inspector Michael Kjeldgaard of East Jutland Police said that individuals were accused of having shared these images via Facebook Messenger or other social media, according to a statement. published Thursday.
The video, which the authorities consider authentic, shows the killing of one of two young hikers found beheaded near the city of Imil, in the Atlas Mountains south of Marrakech, the December 17, 2018.
Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, of Denmark, and Norway's Maren Ueland, 28, were killed in what the Moroccan and Danish authorities have described as a terrorist act.
Twelve people were charged with unauthorized disclosure of the video in "particularly aggravating" circumstances.
This section of the Danish Penal Code is normally used to prosecute those who share pictures or videos of people that they would not want to see made public, such as porn revenge, said by phone to Deputy Attorney General Jakob Berger Nielsen .
Berger Nielsen said the law is designed to protect people from sharing their images online without their consent.
There is no knowledge of previous cases of use of the article to prosecute those who share content related to terrorism.
"It's important for everyone to know that it can be illegal to share this type of images," he said.
In aggravating circumstances, he is liable to a term of imprisonment of up to three years, according to the Danish police.
Two other people have been accused of apologizing for terrorism, which relates to the expression "joy or amusement" about a terrorist attack, said Nielsen.
This part of the penal code had already been used to prosecute those who had expressed their support for acts of terror such as the attack on the premises of the satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo in 2015, he said.
If they are found guilty, the defendants are liable to a fine of up to two years imprisonment, according to police.
Police said that of the 14 people charged, six were aged 13 to 18, three were between the ages of 22 and 36, and five were between the ages of 45 and 69.
The four suspects accused of direct involvement in the deaths of these women appear in a video pledging their allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group, but they do not refer to the murders.
Moroccan authorities said the four men had not made contact with other members of the group abroad, nor fought in Iraq or Syria.
On December 22, Moroccans gathered to deplore the deaths of tourists in front of the embassies of Norway and Denmark in Rabat, the capital.
Hundreds of people have held vigils, some displaying signs "Sorry" or "Sorry" in English.