Prince William, who will one day become king of England, was the first member of the royal family to publicly speak out on the pandemic on Wednesday March 18. Since then, Elizabeth II, her grandmother, and the Sussexes have also spoken out on the current situation.
If the Queen of England found refuge at Windsor Castle, the sovereign can count on Prince William to take over in this pandemic period. The Duke of Cambridge had indeed become the first member of the royal family to speak on the coronavirus in a video posted on his Instagram account, Wednesday, March 18. Kate Middleton's husband thus welcomed the surge of solidarity carried by the British. "No matter when or where adversity strikes, the people of the United Kingdom have an exceptional ability to stand together," he said. The way local communities support those who are impacted highlights what there is better in our values and human nature. "
In his statement, Prince William urged the British to make donations for the most disadvantaged: "The public's desire to help, at the outset of the tragedy must be managed and organized in the best possible way – this is why the creation of the National Emergencies Trust (NET) was so important. " The prince william said he "feared" the day when the emergency fund should be established, but was "grateful" for its existence. "NET has launched a call for a fundraiser to help local charities to support people facing difficulties due to the explosion of the coronavirus epidemic," he concluded.
Queen and Sussex reactions
His grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, spoke in turn the next day, Thursday, March 19, on the current situation via an official statement. "We advise everyone to change their habits and their lifestyle for the greater good of the community in which we live and, in particular, to protect the most vulnerable," said the sovereign. In support of the Queen, the Sussexes and the Cambridge shared the press release on their respective Instagram pages.
In a first post, published on Thursday March 19, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle also called for solidarity on their Instagram account. "These times are uncertain, can we read in the legend of the publication. And today, more than ever, we need each other." Before concluding: "We are all in the same situation, and as a community we can support each other during this process – and build a digital neighborhood that is secure for all of us."
The new Sussex precautions
In his post, Prince William also said that the NET would help those most affected in the most "quick and efficient" way possible. A message already viewed by more than 1.5 million Internet users. In these times of crisis, the rest of the royal family had to take new precautions. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were also placed in quarantine after the Duke of Sussex hugged Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton. The latter had indeed been in contact with Sophie Trudeau and Idris Elba, both tested positive for coronavirus, two days before his meeting with the prince.
The Queen of England took refuge at Windsor Castle on Thursday March 19 and until further notice. His visits to Cheshire and Camden have been canceled. The annual Mass on Maundy Thursday at Saint-George chapel, scheduled for April 9, is also abolished. The sovereign will have to deprogram her garden parties, which are usually held at Buckingham Palace. Other events, such as the 75th anniversary of VE Day (May 8, 1945, Editor's note), Trooping the Color or the official visit of the Emperor of Japan will probably be postponed.
Prince Harry announced in a video posted Thursday, March 19 that he plans to postpone the Invictus Games. Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla have canceled their royal tour of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan.
* This article originally published on March 19, 2020 has been updated.
Also on MSN: "This unique ability to come together to help each other", the first words of Prince William facing the coronavirus