Syrian regime forces advanced in the northwest of the country on Friday against jihadists and rebels, with the reconquest of a military base lost more than seven years ago, an NGO reported.
The jihadists of Hayat Tahrir al-Cham (HTS, former Syrian branch of Al-Qaeda) dominate more than half of the province of Idleb as well as adjoining sectors in those of Aleppo, Hama and Latakia. Rebel groups and other less influential jihadist factions are also present in these areas, which constitute the last major jihadist bastion to escape regime in the country at war.
In mid-December 2019, the forces of Bashar al-Assad's regime, helped by the Russian ally, attacked again in the Idleb region. After "Heavy fighting" Before dawn against jihadists and rebels, regime forces resumed base 46 on Friday, 12 kilometers west of the big city of Aleppo, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights ( OSDH). Turkish forces were on the base, but withdrew on Thursday, the source said. Bordering Syria, Turkey, which supports rebel groups, maintains troops in northwestern Syria and has sent reinforcements there in recent days.
From now on the progression of the pre-diet is done with the aim of establishing "a safety belt" around a highway connecting Aleppo to the capital Damascus and taken over in its entirety by the authorities earlier this week, said the director of the OSDH, Rami Abdel Rahmane. From this perspective, the forces of the regime "Must conquer the localities of Orum al-Kobra and Kafr Naha", in the province of Aleppo west of the highway, according to him. They are 2 km from Orum al-Kobra.
They are also less than 5 km from the city of Atareb, according to the OSDH. An hooly News correspondent was able to film Thursday this city in the province of Aleppo, completely deserted by its inhabitants after the advance on the ground of the proregimes and the deadly aerial bombardments.
»See also – Erdogan threatens to strike "all over" the syrian regime